A favorite blogger of mine has always been Kendra Tierney from Catholic All Year! She is a Catholic homeschooling momma of 7 children (soon to be 8) who in the most down to earth, realistic way talks about how they live their life and live the liturgical year. One thing that she recently talked about was creating Liturgical Playdates, calling it Liturgical Living for Beginners (Yup, that's Me!!) If you know me in real life you would know that I am not much of the hostess, and I am really good at the basics. Either way, I decided to give it a go and throw a St Patrick's Feast Day Liturgical Playdate. I invited 3 other homeschool moms who are dear friends of mine and with their children and mine there was a total of 11 children for a morning of fun and learning.
Here is what we did!
- Snacks & Decorations:
- It was so much fun to find little decorations to celebrate St Patrick's Day! Most of our decorations we picked up at Hobby Lobby and we also used our St Patrick doll from Shining Light and also the St Patrick from our Peg Doll set.
- For snacks we made rainbow fruit kebabs, some goldfish crackers, fun St Patrtick's Day cookies, skittles (to continue the rainbow fun) and green lemonade!
- Story Time:
- We read Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland by Tomie dePaola, which is the book included for this feast day in Catholic Moasic. We love all Tomie dePaola books and this one was great. The kids enjoyed learning the history of St Patrick and the Legends of St Patrick at the end of the story include the Legend of the Shamrock, which led perfectly into our craft and the Legend of the Snakes which blended into our game!
- Craft
- We made this Shamrock craft from Two Os+ more, that helps little kids understand the 3 parts of the trinity as 1! Since all of the children at our playdate were 6 years old and under I pre-cut a lot of the craft so that it was easier for them to put it together.
- Song:
- As we were doing our craft we taught the kids the St Patrick's Day Song from CatholicIcing.com. It was a cute and easy song to help everyone understand the Trinity!
- Learning Fun
- I printed off the St Patrick's Day Printables and Workbook Packet from reallifeathome.com. Again, because we were only hosting children ages 6 and under I choose what activities I thought they would be able to do and arranged them from easiest (coloring sheets) to hardest (fill in the number, mazes, etc). I also printed off some extra coloring sheets of St Patrick and the Trinity Shamrock for the babies to scribble on (there are 4 children under the age of 2 years old!)
- Game:
- We have 3 boys and so a lot of our friends are little boys, including most the children at our liturgical playdate. I thought the perfect game to play would be Throwing the Snakes out of Ireland. St. Patrick is said to have thrown the snakes out of Ireland with his drum so we made a pretend island and took lots of little rubber snakes and let the kids bang a drum and then throw the snakes off. Very simple, but the kids LOVED it!
- Movie:
- We love all of the CCC Saints and Heroes movies and Patrick: Brave Shepherd of the Emerald Isle is one of our favorites. It is such a fun, catchy movie to tell the story of St Patrick. The kids were so busy that they did not really sit down and watch it entirely but enjoyed watching clips of it while they ate their snack!
Happy Feast of St Patrick from our family to yours!
















Nicole, what a perfect and fun play date to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! It looked like the kids loved it!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteIt was so much fun! We already have another one in tr works for the feast of St George in April!
DeleteWhat a fun St. Patrick's Day celebration! I used to do more when the boys were little and feel like my 5 year old is getting the short end of the stick when I forget to do these things with him.
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking the post up to the 40 Days of Seeking Him meme last week. I hope you'll consider sharing more Lenten or Easter themed posts over the next 2 weeks.
I try to remind myself that our children are only little for a while and as they grow up everything gets busier and takes longer. I am trying to enjoy these years and fill them with fun memories. I hope you have a Blessed Easter
Delete